Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Post Christmas City














Half way down Queen Street Millie started to cry, it took awhile to coax it out of her, but eventually she shared that she  was crying for Christmas being over. It is an experience tinged with sadness visiting the city in the New Year lull and  I felt  guilty for not having made the effort to get them in there before the big day. When all the decorations would have carried an expectation of the excitement yet to come, instead today they were a slightly  forlorn reminder of what has been. I can remember that childhood post Christmas crash feeling  acutely especially when I am witness to  my own children experiencing it .  Nothing to do with ingratitude, entitlement or being indulged, instead just a natural human reaction to something so hyped having come and gone. Today I simply hugged her and told her "Christmas will come again sooner than you think, but in the meantime you have another whole year in front of you, filled with  good things". I am not entirely sure she believed me. 

We made a pilgrimage of sorts to Al's Deli,  it certainly felt like a pilgrimage walking up to the top of Queen Street. But worth it to reach this slice of authentic Canadiana in the middle of Auckland city, iso authentic in fact ,  pointed out Jack, that they had signs in both French and Canadian ( a.k.a English). The soundtrack consisted of Alanis and the Bare Naked Ladies and we felt weirdly juxtaposed but were soon righted by poutine and Moose Ears. Jack, connoisseur of Buffalo wings was delighted to have found the first plate the filled his wing expectation since our trip last year. 

Slightly melancholy but with full bellies  we headed home on the train. 

No comments:

© Two Boys and a Girl. Powered by Cake